Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

In The Year Of 2008

It was 2008 when Obama got elected that year and I was working at a soup kitchen in Jersey City, at 7am, on the last Saturday of the month.  Standing out in the cold, there were a line of people out the door, white, black, green and yellow...and as they stood waiting for food, they looked just like you and me...by the end of the meal, I started cleaning up and folding tables, putting chairs away...a man came to me and said "thank you for coming, I will fold this table for you", and another man stood up and said "I will help him", a third man "I will fold the chairs", a fourth "I will sweep the floor" and a fifth rose from his seat and said "This is what President Obama said we should do, we have to help each other, work as a team, work together". And as I stood back, I realized I was baring witness to a movement.

Now here we are, 2012 an election year and those same people are still standing in line.  So what happens now?  Who’s promises are we listening too? Unemployment has never been so bad, foreclosures are at an all time high, the farmers are experiencing one of the worst droughts of the century and the banks can’t be trusted.  Our health insurance has sky rocketed, for those who have it and for those who don’t, you will die.  Our children are running wild and babies are having babies in the street.  Our taxes are over the top and our politicians keep making broken promises, but it’s an election year in 2012 and the same people are still standing in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment